BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
SENIORITY LEVEL: Experienced Professional
SALARY RANGE: AUD 176,500 – 228,000 + excellent benefits + market leading bonus
LOCATION: Sydney, Australia
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
This role is part of Legal & External Affairs function, and it is a contractual role of 12 months.
South Pacific Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing expert legal input, counsel and materials to support and inform South Pacific Markets’ business decisions and maximise commercial opportunities, whilst ensuring compliance to Group policies and the law. Ensuring Group entities meet their statutory and legal obligations.
Preparation support for local and regional reporting processes.
Reports to: Head of Legal & External Affairs, South Pacific
Reporting Level : Manages Self (Subject Matter Expert)
Geographic Scope : South Pacific Islands (PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Solomon Islands)
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Responsibility for the provision of general commercial legal advice to companies within the BAT(AH)PL group (the “Group”)
- Providing robust legal advice to facilitate business decision making
- Manage local tactical legal action to protect the Group/Area/Market's interests
- Draft legal opinion, advocacy materials, litigation support and contracts
- Support various business functional units, as required, with expert legal advice and counsel to maximise commercial opportunities
- Support business conduct and compliance practice, including developing and monitoring compliance with relevant legislation and internal governance standards; ensuring adequate processes are in place and adherence to defined policies and procedures; implement and conduct appropriate training sessions across the Australian business in alignment with the Area; embedding a culture of delivery with integrity.
- Assistant company Secretarial duties, ensuring that all Group entities meet their statutory and legal obligations under (the) relevant legislation, with special reference to its corporate activities, including subsidiary operations (“the British American Tobacco Australasia Group of Companies”).
CAN THIS BE YOUR FUTURE ROLE?
- Do you have a good experience on political, engagement or corporate affairs?
- Do you have solid knowledge of regulatory affairs?
- Are you willing to lead with and without authority?
CRUCIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Minimum 8+ years of PQE and proven in-house experience to advise the business with speed and quality
- Extensive experience in contracts, including drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements for the supply of goods and services
- Ability to identify quality external legal counsel for South Pacific markets and manage them appropriately on cost and quality delivery
- Clear and compelling written and verbal communication skills including ability to draft contracts with favourable outcomes to support the business
- Understands the local commercial legal environment and deep knowledge of the specific focus area, recognised as local expert in their field
- Willingness to lead and own projects with accountability and work with different functions/levels in the organisation
- Develop own technical and leadership skills as identified and agreed in personal development plan
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
You will receive a competitive remuneration package.
We have flexible working, great parental leave and career's leave benefits and a positive and inclusive culture.
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.