BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
SENIORITY LEVEL: Mid-Senior Level
FUNCTION: Operations (Leaf)
LOCATION: Akora Khattak Factory
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
This role willdrive BAT sustainability agenda in the PTC leaf supply chain and maintain our position as industry leader.
This role is responsible to develop and deliver Sustainable Tobacco Program (STP) Strategy in line with the Leaf Sustainability Strategy enabling sustainable supply of quality tobacco with due regard to sustainable agriculture & livelihood of registered farmers .
Reports to: Leaf Sustainability & Engagement Manager
Reporting Level: Senior Manager
Geographic Scope: Local
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Lead Risk Assessment and gap analysis for Sustainable Tobacco Program (STP 2.0) and ensure implementation of effective strategies to mitigate the effects of any risk to tobacco production in Pakistan;
- Drive ESG initiatives across Leaf and ensure reporting as per the BAT guidelines & in time reporting. These initiatives include Environment, Social & Governance related initiatives agreed with Global Leaf
- Monitor compliance across the Leaf Operations to Sustainable Tobacco Program (STP 2.0) including Human Rights compliances and engage with leaf teams to drive Continuous Improvement Culture within the Leaf Operations;
- Report sustainability results as per the requirement of local, regional and global stakeholders
- Find sustainable alternate fuel sources and methods of energy conservation to reduce pressures from wood fuel and tobacco cost of production
- Support & drive cost effective farm mechanization to reduce manual labour in tobacco production & minimizing cost of production
- Drive to optimize natural resources usage to produce tobacco & set yearly targets on energy conservation, water conservation, carbon emission reduction
- Ensure compliance to BAT’s guidelines on Toxicant Management, agrochemicals residues, GMO, heavy metal management, child labour, Forced Labour, farm labour practice and environmental management
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred in Agriculture/related disciplines.
- Rich experience related to social sector especially ESG and Human Rights areas
- Fully understands the Sustainable Tobacco Program (STP 2.0) concepts and ESG linkage with UN SDGs and can enforce these in the growing areas.
- Understands the Agronomy and the latest techniques required for crop husbandry practices and introduction of new cultivar influences for quality and yield, to overcome the cost of production of the farmer.
- Has strong project management skills with a strong drive for innovative and be a good communicator.
- Strategic management skills i.e., an ability to visualise/resolve problems and study current and future market trends, are a pre-requisite for the job.
- The role requires considerable negotiation with suppliers and with the various stakeholders linked to leaf operations.
- A good understanding/wide experience of agriculture extension, crop production, and leaf purchase system, financial implication, processing, blending and domestic/ international tobacco trade.
- A comprehensive understanding of the legislation governing tobacco marketing, market requirements, cost of production and an understanding of local culture, socio-economic and political background of the farming community is required.
- Working experience with export customers and product to facilitate a clear understanding of what is required.
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!